The Geography Minor Program offers students a series of interdisciplinary, related courses that focus on place and the environment by using spatial perspective. The geography curriculum provides hands on as well as theoretical knowledge and skill in social, economic, cultural, physical and environmental understanding of the world and world’s regions. Geography augments all academic majors at UOG and bridges the physical sciences with the humanities and the social sciences. Special emphasis is placed upon sustainability and culture in the Micronesian region. This minor is designed to enhance career preparedness for all majors, including education, health, business, social and physical sciences. The developing GIS certification program is under development to serve the community as well as students. The Geography Minor is designed to achieve the following student outcomes:
1. Explain and analyze knowledge of facts, functions, and processes of complex earth systems, as well as the methods and techniques used to study these systems.
2. Specify complex and changing demographic, population, political, economic, cultural and environmental patterns within a global context.
3. Understand and apply analytical methods (e.g., map reading, statistics, and advanced geospatial technologies) to geospatial phenomena.
4. Synthesize, evaluate and predict changing human and physical interactive Earth patterns in a spatial environmental framework with special emphasis on the Asia Pacific.
Required Courses (13 credit hours): GE101, GE201, GE203, GE401.
Elective Courses: 9 upper division credits selected from any of the upper division Geography courses or from NS330 & NS330L, NS355 & NS355L, and NS/AG 380.
*SEE - STUDENT ADVISEMENT SHEET GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS and include under Tier II - Direction Building (DB) – 9-11 credits – 1) CF, DF or UU as Pre-req (Can be within a declared Major); 2) DF or Major Exploration
3) DF Exploration outside major requirement (May apply to a Minor or 2nd Major) –
GE480, GE321, GE/AN341, GE461, GE/S0465, NS330, NS355 and NS355L, NS/AG380 (electives
9cr see prerequisites on attached minor program advisement sheet)
Tier III – Capstone Experience – 0 Credits in GE (course within major) – GE401
Psychology grad to study implications of COFA migration at Clemson University
Rise Above: Alumnus works toward improving education system for underprivileged youth
Graduate psychology student heads to doctoral school on journey to help others
Alumna creates community through theater company
Chelsea Fama: One of UOG's first BUILD EXITO scholars
A Student Champion for Environmental Change
Chamorro Studies students take 'epic' tour of Marianas latte sites
Five UOG faculty undergo 7-month leadership development training
UOG Welcomes New Faculty and Administrators
International Exhibit Features Artwork by UOG Students